Friday, August 15, 2008

Paper or Plastic - NEITHER!


I got an email recently from a friend of mine that included a link to a video montage about the evils of plastic bags. It was VERY effective. It was full of information that I guess I already knew, but that I needed to be reminded of. The thing that was most revealing to me was the fact that it costs more to recycle plastic bags than to produce a new one. I guess I had been under the false notion that I was saving the environment by dumping my excess plastic bags in those receptacles at the grocery store. The truth is, plastic bags are the bane of my existence. I hate the fact that when I go grocery shopping I end up coming home with SO many plastic bags that (I swear) reproduce under my kitchen sink. I don't think I need mention why plastic bags are so bad for the environment. I do think it is worth mentioning that plastic is made using petroleum products, and we need to reduce our dependency on petroleum.

So I started searching for some reusable shopping bags, and as it happens, they are becoming increasingly available and affordable - at least in my area. I spent $1 a bag, and I love them! They are much stronger than plastic bags, so you can fit more groceries into one bag. It's easier to carry the groceries into the house, I no longer have plastic bags jumping out at me when I open the cupboard under the sink, and cashiers have been surprisingly cooperative about using them. I highly recommend them.

3 comments:

Gina said...

I always forget my bags... either at home or in the car. I need to be better about taking them in the store with me.

Diana said...

I made reusable bags from the drink pouches my kids took to lunch. I get comments everywhere I take them and they offer a little insulation for those frozen items.

Andrea said...

I've done some of that too - I've made the Capri Sun purses, lunch sacks and pencil cases. You must have made big ones though - I'd love to see pictures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...