Friday, August 22, 2008

Samara's new braces


Samara is definitely MY daughter. She looks like me, she acts like me, and most recently - she has my teeth. Poor girl! I suspected this so we made an appointment with the orthodontist a few weeks ago. She has all the same crowding and bite problems that I had (and had years of orthodontic work for, to no avail). The process started with having 4 baby teeth removed (just like I did), and was followed yesterday with an expander that will widen her top jaw (just like I did) AND braces - which I did not have, at least not at the same time as the expander. So hopefully this will actually work for her.

She was SO excited yesterday when she came out to show me that she had braces - complete with bands alternating shades of pink to match her shirt! Her friends all thought they were so cool, and when she got home from school she had to call Paul and tell him too.

Now that she has had them on for a day she is not quite so thrilled. She's pretty sore, poor thing, and the expander is a pain because food gets caught under it. Ah, the price of beauty...

And all this comes at quite a price. We have dental insurance, but it doesn't cover orthodontic work. And this is just phase one...

2 comments:

Shanna said...

Oh I am so sorry but what a joy it is to have a beautiful smile. I know the feeling all too well. Good luck with that. I hope it goes quick for her.

Debbie, Lee, Rachele and Kenny said...

Ouch! I know the pain of paying for braces too. Even with insurance that covered part of it. Lee's oldest daughter (no you didn't miss anything its a long story I might go into detail later in a blog)had them and it was like 5000 total that Lee and his ex girlfriend split and Lee's dental covered some of it so...good luck and I hope she feels better soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...